Main Article Content
Nails, Psoriasis, Topical, Treatment
Combination topical corticosteroids and vitamin D analog treatments for nail psoriasis are widely used in cream and ointment vehicles, but patients may prefer a foam vehicle due to ease of application and favorable cosmetic appearance. Calcipotriene 0.005%/betamethasone dipropionate 0.064% (Cal/BD) aerosol foam is an FDA approved therapy for plaque psoriasis, but may also be an effective treatment for nail psoriasis in a novel aerosol foam. We present a case series of 3 patients with mild to moderate nail psoriasis who responded positively to treatment with Cal/BD aerosol foam applied 1-2 times daily to affected nails for at least 6 weeks. Reduction of nail plate surface abnormalities and a decrease in inflammation of the nail folds were assessed with clinical evaluation and dermoscopy, and documented with serial photography. While further research on the efficacy and safety of Cal/BD aerosol foam as a treatment for nail psoriasis is needed, this report suggests its potential as a combination topical vitamin D analogue and high potency steroid in a foam vehicle.
2. de Jong EM, Seegers BA, Gulinck MK, et al. Psoriasis of the nails associated with disability in a large number of patients: results of a recent interview with 1,728 patients. Dermatology (Basel, Switzerland). 1996;193(4):300-3.
3. Rigopoulos D, Baran R, Chiheb S, et al. Recommendations for the definition, evaluation, and treatment of nail psoriasis in adult patients with no or mild skin psoriasis: A dermatologist and nail expert group consensus. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Jul 2019;81(1):228-240.
4. Rigopoulos D, Gregoriou S, Daniel III CR, et al. Treatment of nail psoriasis with a two-compound formulation of calcipotriol plus betamethasone dipropionate ointment. Dermatology (Basel, Switzerland). 2009;218(4):338-41.
5. Rigopoulos D, Ioannides D, Prastitis N, Katsambas A. Nail psoriasis: a combined treatment using calcipotriol cream and clobetasol propionate cream. Acta dermato-venereologica. 2002;82(2):140.
6. Tan ES, Chong WS, Tey HL. Nail psoriasis: a review. American journal of clinical dermatology. Dec 1 2012;13(6):375-88.
7. Zakeri M, Valikhani M, Mortazavi H, Barzegari M. Topical calcipotriol therapy in nail psoriasis: a study of 24 cases. Dermatology online journal. Dec 1 2005;11(3):5.
8. Tzung TY, Chen CY, Yang CY, et al. Calcipotriol used as monotherapy or combination therapy with betamethasone dipropionate in the treatment of nail psoriasis. Acta dermato-venereologica. 2008;88(3):279-80.
9. Sanchez Regana M, Marquez Balbas G, Umbert Millet P. Nail psoriasis: a combined treatment with 8% clobetasol nail lacquer and tacalcitol ointment. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology : JEADV. Aug 2008;22(8):963-9.
10. Richards HL, Fortune DG, O'Sullivan TM, et al. Patients with psoriasis and their compliance with medication. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. Oct 1999;41(4):581-3.
11. Housman TS, Mellen BG, Rapp SR, et al. Patients with psoriasis prefer solution and foam vehicles: a quantitative assessment of vehicle preference. Cutis. Dec 2002;70(6):327-32.