Main Article Content
noninvasive, body contouring, lipolysis, radiofrequency, laser, cryolipolysis, ultrasound
Background: There is increasing demand for noninvasive body contouring but objective data is difficult to compare between modalities. Currently, the most accepted forms of noninvasive body contouring are cryolipolyisis (Cryo), focused ultrasound (FUS), radiofrequency (RF), and low level laser therapy (LLLT).
Objective: To summarize the objective data on noninvasive body contouring.
Methods: In October 2016, a pubmed search was performed with terms “noninvasive body contouring” or “non-invasive body contouring.” The search was limited to human studies in English on the four major modalities.
Results: 55 articles yielded data from 3649 patients. The most well studied modality was Cryo and the least was RF. Decreased abdominal/flank localized adiposity was most the most common endpoint reported. Both the minimum and maximum reported decreases in abdominal girth were from studies using RF (1.4cm and 7.4cm, respectively). Side effects were most common and significant with Cryo and absent with LLLT.Conclusions: Noninvasive body contouring has a significant amount of objective data available in the literature to date. Reductions of localized adiposity are clinically and statistically significant but modest. To date, the best reported positive results have been obtained with RF and the lowest risk of side effects is with LLLT.
2) Jalian HR, Avram MM. Body contouring: the skinny on noninvasive fat removal. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2012 Jun;31(2):121-5.
3) Kennedy J, Verne S, Griffith R, Falto-Aizpurua L, et al. Non-invasive subcutaneous fat reduction: a review. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2015 Sep;29(9):1679-88.
4) Mulholland RS, Paul MD, Chalfoun C. Noninvasive body contouring with radiofrequency, ultrasound, cryolipolysis, and low-level laser therapy. Clin Plast Surg. 2011 Jul;38(3):503-20, vii-iii.
5) Nassab R. The evidence behind noninvasive body contouring devices. Aesthet Surg J. 2015 Mar;35(3):279-93.
6) Ortiz AE, Avram MM. Noninvasive body contouring: cryolipolysis and ultrasound. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2015 Sep;34(3):129-33.
7) Singh B, Keaney T, Rossi AM. Male Body Contouring. J Drugs Dermatol. 2015 Sep;14(9):1052-9.
8) Adatto MA, Adatto-Neilson RM, Morren G. Reduction in adipose tissue volume using a new high-power radiofrequency technology combined with infrared light and mechanical manipulation for body contouring. Lasers Med Sci. 2014 Sep;29(5):1627-31.
9) Winter ML. Post-pregnancy body contouring using a combined radiofrequency, infrared light and tissue manipulation device. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2009 Dec;11(4):229-35.
10) Sasaki GH1, Abelev N, Tevez-Ortiz A. Noninvasive selective cryolipolysis and reperfusion recovery for localized natural fat reduction and contouring. Aesthet Surg J. 2014 Mar;34(3):420-31.
11) Coleman SR, Sachdeva K, Egbert BM, Preciado J, et al. Clinical efficacy of noninvasive cryolipolysis and its effects on peripheral nerves. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2009 Jul;33(4):482-8.
12) Shek S, Yu C, Yeung CK, Kono T, et al. The use of focused ultrasound for non-invasive body contouring in Asians. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):751-9.
13) Elm CM, Wallander ID, Endrizzi B, Zelickson BD. Efficacy of a multiple diode laser system for body contouring. Lasers Surg Med. 2011 Feb;43(2):114-21.
14) Elman M, Vider I, Harth Y, Gottfried V, et al. Non-invasive therapy of wrinkles and lax skin using a novel multisource phase-controlled radio frequency system. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2010 Apr;12(2):81-6.
15) Royo de la Torre J, Moreno-Moraga J, Muñoz E, Cornejo Navarro P. Multisource, Phase-controlled Radiofrequency for Treatment of Skin Laxity: Correlation Between Clinical and In-vivo Confocal Microscopy Results and Real-Time Thermal Changes. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2011 Jan;4(1):28-35.
16) Jalian HR, Avram MM, Garibyan L, Mihm MC, et al. Paradoxical adipose hyperplasia after cryolipolysis. JAMA Dermatol. 2014 Mar;150(3):317-9.
17) Singh SM, Geddes ER, Boutrous SG, Galiano RD, et al. Paradoxical adipose hyperplasia secondary to cryolipolysis: An underreported entity? Lasers Surg Med. 2015 Aug;47(6):476-8.
18) Shek SY, Chan NP, Chan HH. Non-invasive cryolipolysis for body contouring in Chinese--a first commercial experience. Lasers Surg Med. 2012 Feb;44(2):125-30.
19) Saedi N, Kaminer M. New waves for fat reduction: high-intensity focused ultrasound. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2013 Mar;32(1):26-30.
20) Sklar LR, El Tal AK, Kerwin LY. Use of transcutaneous ultrasound for lipolysis and skin tightening: a review. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2014 Apr;38(2):429-41.
21) Fatemi A. High-intensity focused ultrasound effectively reduces adipose tissue. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2009 Dec;28(4):257-62.
22) Solish N, Lin X, Axford-Gatley RA, Strangman NM, et al. A randomized, single-blind, postmarketing study of multiple energy levels of high-intensity focused ultrasound for noninvasive body sculpting. Dermatol Surg. 2012 Jan;38(1):58-67.
23) Robinson DM, Kaminer MS, Baumann L, Burns AJ, et al. High-intensity focused ultrasound for the reduction of subcutaneous adipose tissue using multiple treatment techniques. Dermatol Surg. 2014 Jun;40(6):641-51.
24) Shek SY, Yeung CK, Chan JC, Chan HH. Efficacy of high-intensity focused ultrasonography for noninvasive body sculpting in Chinese patients. Lasers Surg Med. 2014 Apr;46(4):263-9.
25) Gadsden E, Aguilar MT, Smoller BR, Jewell ML. Evaluation of a novel high-intensity focused ultrasound device for ablating subcutaneous adipose tissue for noninvasive body contouring: safety studies in human volunteers. Aesthet Surg J. 2011 May;31(4):401-10.
26) Ascher B. Safety and efficacy of UltraShape Contour I treatments to improve the appearance of body contours: multiple treatments in shorter intervals. Aesthet Surg J. 2010 Mar;30(2):217-24.
27) Hotta TA. Nonsurgical body contouring with focused ultrasound. Plast Surg Nurs. 2010 Apr-Jun;30(2):77-82; quiz 83-4.
28) Moreno-Moraga J, Valero-Altés T, Riquelme AM, Isarria-Marcosy MI, et al. Body contouring by non-invasive transdermal focused ultrasound. Lasers Surg Med. 2007 Apr;39(4):315-23.
29) Teitelbaum SA, Burns JL, Kubota J, Matsuda H, et al. Noninvasive body contouring by focused ultrasound: safety and efficacy of the Contour I device in a multicenter, controlled, clinical study. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007 Sep;120(3):779-90.
30) Tonucci LB, Mourão DM, Ribeiro AQ, Bressan J. Noninvasive body contouring: biological and aesthetic effects of low-frequency, low-intensity ultrasound device. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2014 Oct;38(5):959-67.
31) Beasley KL, Weiss RA. Radiofrequency in cosmetic dermatology. Dermatol Clin. 2014 Jan;32(1):79-90.
32) Harth Y. Painless, safe, and efficacious noninvasive skin tightening, body contouring, and cellulite reduction using multisource 3DEEP radiofrequency. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2015 Mar;14(1):70-5.
33) Sadick NS. Overview of ultrasound-assisted liposuction, and body contouring with cellulite reduction. Semin Cutan Med Surg.
34) Weiss RA. Noninvasive radio frequency for skin tightening and body contouring. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2013 Mar;32(1):9-17.
35) Brightman L, Weiss E, Chapas AM, Karen J, et al. Improvement in arm and post-partum abdominal and flank subcutaneous fat deposits and skin laxity using a bipolar radiofrequency, infrared, vacuum and mechanical massage device. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):791-8.
36) Fajkošová K, Machovcová A, Onder M, Fritz K. Selective radiofrequency therapy as a non-invasive approach for contactless body contouring and circumferential reduction. J Drugs Dermatol. 2014 Mar;13(3):291-6.
37) Moradi A, Palm M. Selective Non-contact Field Radiofrequency Extended Treatment Protocol: Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy. J Drugs Dermatol. 2015 Sep;14(9):982-5.
38) Key DJ. A Preliminary Study of a Transdermal Radiofrequency Device for Body Slimming. J Drugs Dermatol. 2015 Nov;14(11):1272-8.
39) Boisnic S, Branchet MC, Birnstiel O, Beilin G. Clinical and histopathological study of the TriPollar home-use device for body treatments. Eur J Dermatol. 2010 May-Jun;20(3):367-72.
40) Levenberg A. Clinical experience with a TriPollar radiofrequency system for facial and body aesthetic treatments. Eur J Dermatol. 2010 Sep-Oct;20(5):615-9.
41) Avram MM, Harry RS. Cryolipolysis for subcutaneous fat layer reduction. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):703-8.
42) Jalian HR, Avram MM. Cryolipolysis: a historical perspective and current clinical practice. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2013 Mar;32(1):31-4.
43) Nelson AA, Wasserman D, Avram MM. Cryolipolysis for reduction of excess adipose tissue. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2009 Dec;28(4):244-9.
44) Garibyan L, Sipprell WH 3rd, Jalian HR, Sakamoto FH, et al. Three-dimensional volumetric quantification of fat loss following cryolipolysis. Lasers Surg Med. 2014 Feb;46(2):75-80.
45) Dierickx CC, Mazer JM, Sand M, Koenig S, et al. Safety, tolerance, and patient satisfaction with noninvasive cryolipolysis. Dermatol Surg. 2013 Aug;39(8):1209-16.
46) Stevens WG, Pietrzak LK, Spring MA. Broad overview of a clinical and commercial experience with CoolSculpting. Aesthet Surg J. 2013 Aug 1;33(6):835-46.
47) Bernstein EF, Bloom JD, Basilavecchio LD, Plugis JM. Non-invasive fat reduction of the flanks using a new cryolipolysis applicator and overlapping, two-cycle treatments. Lasers Surg Med. 2014 Dec;46(10):731-5.
48) Klein KB, Zelickson B, Riopelle JG, Okamoto E, et al. Non-invasive cryolipolysis for subcutaneous fat reduction does not affect serum lipid levels or liver function tests. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):785-90.
49) Wanitphakdeedecha R, Sathaworawong A, Manuskiatti W. The efficacy of cryolipolysis treatment on arms and inner thighs. Lasers Med Sci. 2015 Nov;30(8):2165-9.
50) Stevens WG, Bachelor EP. Cryolipolysis conformable-surface applicator for nonsurgical fat reduction in lateral thighs. Aesthet Surg J. 2015 Jan;35(1):66-71.
51) Boey GE, Wasilenchuk JL. Fat reduction in the inner thigh using a prototype cryolipolysis applicator. Dermatol Surg. 2014 Sep;40(9):1004-9.
52) Zelickson BD, Burns AJ, Kilmer SL. Cryolipolysis for safe and effective inner thigh fat reduction. Lasers Surg Med. 2015 Feb;47(2):120-7.
53) Avci P, Nyame TT, Gupta GK, Sadasivam M, et al. Low-level laser therapy for fat layer reduction: a comprehensive review. Lasers Surg Med. 2013 Aug;45(6):349-57.
54) Jackson RF, Dedo DD, Roche GC, Turok DI, et al. Low-level laser therapy as a non-invasive approach for body contouring: a randomized, controlled study. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):799-809.
55) Elm CM, Wallander ID, Endrizzi B, Zelickson BD. Efficacy of a multiple diode laser system for body contouring. Lasers Surg Med. 2011 Feb;43(2):114-21.
56) Nestor MS, Zarraga MB, Park H. Effect of 635nm Low-level Laser Therapy on Upper Arm Circumference Reduction: A Double-blind, Randomized, Sham-controlled Trial. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2012 Feb;5(2):42-8.
57) Jackson RF, Stern FA, Neira R, Ortiz-Neira CL, et al. Application of low-level laser therapy for noninvasive body contouring. Lasers Surg Med. 2012 Mar;44(3):211-7.
58) McRae E, Boris J. Independent evaluation of low-level laser therapy at 635 nm for non-invasive body contouring of the waist, hips, and thighs. Lasers Surg Med. 2013 Jan;45(1):1-7.
59) Nestor MS, Newburger J, Zarraga MB. Body contouring using 635-nm low level laser therapy. Semin Cutan Med Surg. 2013 Mar;32(1):35-40.
60) Nestor M, Zarraga M, Park H. Efficacy of low-level laser therapy for upper arm circumference reduction: A multicenter double-blind, randomized, sham-controlled trial with long –term follow-up. American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery Abstracts. Lasers Surg. Med. 2013 45: 1–93.
61) Caruso-Davis MK, Guillot TS, Podichetty VK, Mashtalir N, et al. Efficacy of low-level laser therapy for body contouring and spot fat reduction. Obes Surg. 2011 Jun;21(6):722-9.
62) Chang SL, Huang YL, Lee MC, Chang CH, et al. Combination therapy of focused ultrasound and radio-frequency for noninvasive body contouring in Asians with MRI photographic documentation. Lasers Med Sci. 2014 Jan;29(1):165-72.
63) Ferraro GA, De Francesco F, Cataldo C, Rossano F, et al. Synergistic effects of cryolipolysis and shock waves for noninvasive body contouring. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2012 Jun;36(3):666-79.
64) Chang SL, Huang YL, Lee MC, Chang CH, et al. Long-term follow-up for noninvasive body contouring treatment in Asians. Lasers Med Sci. 2016 Feb;31(2):283-7.
65) Zachary CB, Saedi N, Allison J. The geometric model and fat reduction. J Drugs Dermatol. 2013 Jan;12(1):27-34.