Main Article Content
Squamous cell carcinoma, SCC, keratoacanthoma, cutaneous malignancy, chemotherapeutic, HPV, vaccine,
An elderly, immunocompetent patient presented multiple invasive squamous cell carcinomas of the keratoacanthoma subtype superimposed on a psoriatic plaque. After failing initial treatment with oral acitretin, alternative therapies were considered. Due to the patient’s advanced age, location of the tumors and extensive tumor burden, invasive therapy was deemed impractical. After careful consideration, the more novel approach of injecting the 9-valent HPV vaccine was performed. Ten months after the first dose, the patient’s skin displayed neither clinical or histologic evidence of any residual cancer. We believe that this is the second reported case of the 9-valent HPV vaccine successfully treating non-melanoma cutaneous malignancies.
2. J. A. Savage, J. C. Maize, Sr. Keratoacanthoma clinical behavior: a systematic review. Am J Dermatopathol 2014; 36: 422-429.
3. J. Chahoud, A. Semaan, Y. Chen et al. Association Between beta-Genus Human Papillomavirus and Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma in Immunocompetent Individuals-A Meta-analysis. JAMA Dermatol 2016; 152: 1354-1364.
4. B. Aldabagh, J. G. C. Angeles, A. R. Cardones, S. T. Arron. Cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma and human papillomavirus: is there an association? Dermatologic surgery : official publication for American Society for Dermatologic Surgery [et al.] 2013; 39: 1-23.
5. D. E. Rollison, D. Viarisio, R. P. Amorrortu, T. Gheit, M. Tommasino. An Emerging Issue in Oncogenic Virology: the Role of Beta Human Papillomavirus Types in the Development of Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Journal of Virology 2019; 93: e01003-01018.
6. J. Chahoud, A. G. Rieber, S. K. Tyring. The beta-HPV Subtypes-Cornerstone of the Next-Generation Vaccine. JAMA Oncol 2017; 3: 594-595.
7. US Food and Drug and Administration. Gardasil 9. https://www.fda.gov/vaccines-blood-biologics/vaccines/gardasil-9. Accessed October 25, 2019.
8. A. J. Nichols, A. H. Allen, S. Shareef, E. V. Badiavas, R. S. Kirsner, T. Ioannides. Association of Human Papillomavirus Vaccine With the Development of Keratinocyte Carcinomas. JAMA Dermatol 2017; 153: 571-574.
9. A. J. Nichols, A. Gonzalez, E. S. Clark et al. Combined Systemic and Intratumoral Administration of Human Papillomavirus Vaccine to Treat Multiple Cutaneous Basaloid Squamous Cell Carcinomas. JAMA Dermatol 2018; 154: 927-930.
10. F. Brunet-Possenti, L. Deschamps, C. Charpentier. Use of Combination Systemic-Intratumoral HPV Vaccine to Treat Cutaneous Basaloid Squamous Cell Carcinomas. JAMA Dermatol 2019; 155: 123-124.
11. A. J. Nichols, R. S. Kirsner, T. Ioannides. Use of Combination Systemic-Intratumoral HPV Vaccine to Treat Cutaneous Basaloid Squamous Cell Carcinomas—Reply. JAMA Dermatology 2019; 155: 124-125.
12. A. Oglesby, A. P. Algazi, A. I. Daud. Intratumoral and Combination Therapy in Melanoma and Other Skin Cancers. Am J Clin Dermatol 2019.